Video clip of Bill Maher's hate speech deleted from FireBillMaher.com's blip.tv account
WASHINGTON, D.C. (22 April 2008) — Blip.tv has removed a video clip of Bill Maher slandering Pope Benedict XVI and the Catholic Church from American Life League’s account. Thousands of viewers visiting FireBillMaher.com were thus unable to see the offending footage for about an hour before the clip was reposted from a YouTube account.
“It’s somewhat bewildering that blip.tv would remove our video,” said Judie Brown, president of American Life League. “What we do know is that blip.tv has a very lucrative contract with Time Warner-owned CNN.”
Blip.tv powers CNN’s citizen journalism section, CNN Exchange. CNN, in turn, is owned by Time Warner, which also owns HBO. Maher’s program, Real Time with Bill Maher, is carried on HBO.
“Google-sponsored YouTube censored one of our videos a few months ago because it exposed Planned Parenthood’s plan to exploit young people,” said Brown. “Now blip.tv, which is closely tied to Time Warner, is censoring our video of Bill Maher’s hate-filled rant.”
American Life League’s web site www.FireBillMaher.com contains the clip of Maher’s three-minute-plus rant in which he said Pope Benedict XVI “used to be a Nazi” and described him as the leader of a “child-abusing religious cult.” A petition to have Maher fired, a call for HBO subscribers to cancel their subscriptions until Maher is fired and a time line of Maher’s long history of anti-Catholic hate speech are also available on the site.
“Given the thousands of HBO subscription cancellations our petition signers are reporting to us, Time Warner is clearly feeling the heat,” said Brown.
American Life League was co-founded in 1979 by Judie Brown. It is the largest grassroots Catholic pro-life organization in the United States and is committed to the protection of all innocent human beings from the moment of creation to death. For more information or press inquiries, please contact Michael Hichborn at 540.659.7900.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- American Life League: Fire Bill Maher petition website (21 April 2008)
- FOX Business, Cavuto: Judie Brown interview With Neil Cavuto (21 April 2008)
- My FOX NY: Bill Maher Takes Heat for Comments on Church, Pope (21 April 2008)
- Life Site News: Bill Maher Backtracks on 'Nazi' Remarks, Then Claims Pope Protected Child Molesters (21 April 2008)
- Fox Business: Bill Maher Refuses to Apologize (19 April 2008)
- CNS News: 'Nazi' Pope Runs 'Child-Abusing Cult,' Says HBO's Maher (15 April 2008)
- News Busters: Bill Maher: Pope ‘Used to be a Nazi’; Compares Church to Cult, Bear Stearns (14 April 2008)
- Denver Post: Don Imus Fired by CBS (12 April 2007)
- Multichannel News: CNN Viewers Headline 'I-Reports' (14 August 2006)
- Lost Remote: Blip.tv Says it's Thriving on CNN Deal (13 August 2006)
- The Blip TV Blog: Blip.tv Deal with CNN, Others (1 August 2006)