Washington, D.C. (20 May 2008) – American Life League is organizing a protest against Maher’s appearance at the Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall next Thursday, continuing its call for HBO to fire Bill Maher for his slanderous attacks on Pope Benedict XVI and the Catholic Church.
There is a massive double standard in the media about what is acceptable and what is unacceptable speech, said Judie Brown, president of American Life League. When Don Imus jokes about race, he’s fired for being a racist and a bigot. When Bill Maher slanders the Pope and the entire Catholic Church, he’s exonerated for merely making a joke. The real joke is media integrity.
On his April 11 show, Maher called Pope Benedict XVI a former Nazi and the leader of a pedophile cult. The following week, he continued his assault on the pope and the Catholic Church. In response, American Life League created a petition website, www.FireBillMaher.com, calling on HBO to fire Maher for his comments.
Thousands of people have expressed their outrage at Maher’s comments and canceled their HBO subscriptions,said Brown. When we show up at DAR Constitution Hall to protest Maher’s appearance, we will make it clear to Time-Warner that 70 million Catholics in this country are offended and for that Maher must be fired!
American Life League was cofounded in 1979 by Judie Brown. It is the largest grassroots Catholic pro-life organization in the United States and is committed to the protection of all innocent human beings from the moment of creation to death. For more information or press inquiries, please contact Michael Hichborn at 540.659.4171.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- American Life League: Fire Bill Maher petition web site
- MichNews: Blip.tv Censors American Life League; Shills for Bill Maher (25 April 2008)
- FOX Business Network, Cavuto: Neil Cavuto interviews Judie Brown (21 April 2008)
- My FOX New York: Bill Maher Takes Heat for Comments on Church, Pope (21 April 2008)
- LifeSiteNews: Bill Maher Backtracks on 'Nazi' Remarks, Then Claims Pope Protected Child Molesters (21 April 2008)
- NewsBusters: Bill Maher: Pope ‘Used to be a Nazi’; Compares Church to Cult, Bear Stearns (14 April 2008)
- Denver Post: Don Imus Fired by CBS (12 April 2007)
- The blip.tv blog: Blip.tv deal with CNN, others (1 August 2006)