WASHINGTON, D.C. (16 April 2008) – Pro-abortion politicians attempting to receive Holy Communion at the papal Masses in New York and Washington, D.C. will be photographed in an effort spearheaded by American Life League.
"Organizations such as Catholics for a Free Choice and the so-called Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence have tried time and time again to politicize the Eucharist and American Life League is saying 'enough!'" said Judie Brown, president of American Life League. "We're asking our bishops and priests to be extraordinarily vigilant in defending the Eucharist."
American Life League ran a nationwide, full page ad exposing 21 abortion-supporting Catholic politicians who may attempt to receive communion at the papal Masses in New York and Washington, D.C. According to Politico, Nancy Pelosi and John Kerry both expect to receive Communion on Thursday.
"Anyone who remembers the scandal caused by Bill Clinton receiving communion in South Africa can imagine the outcry from Catholics should pro-abortion politicians receive Communion at either of the papal Masses," said Brown. "This is no small matter, and we have full faith that Pope Benedict XVI will make clear that any unrepentant person who facilitates, promotes, obtains or assists in an abortion is not fit to receive the body and blood of Christ."
American Life League was co-founded in 1979 by Judie Brown. It is the largest grassroots Catholic pro-life organization in the United States and is committed to the protection of all innocent human beings from the moment of creation to death. For more information or press inquiries, please contact Michael Hichborn at 540.659.7900.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- Politico: Pope Visit Renews Abortion Debate (15 April 2008)
- PR News Wire: ALL To Pro-Abortion Catholics: Do Not Sacrilegiously Exploit the Eucharist
- American Life League: Full-Page Ad (14 April 2008)
- Life Site News: Pope Supports Excommunication for Pro-Abortion Politicians – "Incompatible with Receiving Communion" (9 May 2007)
- Medical News Today: Pope Benedict XVI Speaks Out Against Abortion, Mexico City Law Legalizing Procedure On Visit To Brazil (14 May 2007)
- NY Daily News: International Flap Over Clinton Communion (31 March 1998)