Washington, D.C. (13 May 2008) – Celebrating the submission of 131,243 petition signatures – far exceeding the 110,000 necessary – for the Colorado personhood ballot initiative, Judie Brown, president of American Life League, released the following statement:
American Life League has worked tirelessly to focus attention on the personhood of the preborn child for the past 30 years. It is therefore with the deepest sense of gratitude that we commend the leaders of Colorado for Equal Rights, and Kristi Burton in particular, for the historic announcement that was made today.
We realize that the real struggle in Colorado is just beginning and we hope to be able to assist in educating the public in that state and around the nation, regarding the definition of personhood and the real existence of the human being from the point his life begins regardless of the method of reproduction.
Colorado for Equal Rights needed 76,000 signatures to get the personhood amendment on the ballot in November.
American Life League was cofounded in 1979 by Judie Brown. It is the largest grassroots Catholic pro-life organization in the United States and is committed to the protection of all innocent human beings from the moment of creation to death. For more information or media inquiries, please contact Michael Hichborn at 540.659.4171.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- Colorado for Equal Rights: Colorado ‘Personhood’ Ballot Initiative
- RH Reality Check: "Egg-as-Person" Backers Call Out Conservative Wimps (17 April 2008)
- US News and World Report: New Abortion Wars (03 January 2008)
- The Conservative Voice: Pro-life = ‘Fetus’ Nixed for ‘Person’ (01 January 2008)
- World Net Daily: ‘Personhood’ for Unborn Proposed in Colorado (20 July 2007)
- Renew America: The Personhood Crisis (27 May 2007)
- KXMC CBS 13: Right to Life Act Critical for New Congress; Defining Personhood is not a Partisan Issue (11 December 2006)