By Jim Sedlak
This important article originally appeared in yesterday's Wednesday STOPP Report.
Longtime subscribers to the Wednesday STOPP Report know that it is highly unusual for us to lead off the newsletter with a call to action. However, the stakes are just too high in the selection of the new Supreme Court justice for us to do anything but give this the highest priority.
President Trump nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. Judge Gorsuch is a friend to all those who are fighting Planned Parenthood. Among his positions on various topics of importance to the culture of life is his dissention from a case in which the Tenth Circuit sided with Planned Parenthood and refused to allow the governor of Utah to defund the abortion business in wake of videos showing its involvement in the selling of baby body parts.
By all accounts, Judge Gorsuch is a clear intellectual leader who is cut out of the same mold as Justice Antonin Scalia. In addition to the Planned Parenthood funding dissent, Gorsuch also:
- Wrote a book called The Future of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia. He argues in the book that “human life is fundamentally and inherently valuable” and that “the intentional taking of human life by private persons is always wrong.”
- Ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby in holding that Obamacare’s abortifacient mandate violates the religious beliefs of closely-held corporations.
- Ruled in favor of the Little Sisters of the Poor, defending the rights of nuns not to be forced to pay for abortion-inducing drugs in their healthcare plans.
Following Gorsuch’s nomination, American Life League immediately joined with other groups to form a new coalition prolifecourt.com to work to ensure Senate confirmation of Judge Gorsuch.
Now we are asking each of you to:
- Call your two senators in Congress and tell them to vote to confirm Judge Gorsuch.
- Add your name to the coalition’s message to the Senate telling them to confirm Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
- Donate to American Life League’s efforts to get Gorsuch confirmed.
Jim Sedlak is executive director of American Life League and founder of STOPP International. He has been leading the fight against Planned Parenthood since 1985.